Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Is it Still Russian Martial Art Even If The Teacher Isn't?

Here is a link to an interesting article from the New York Times about non-Italians cooking Italian food.


Many people have asked if you have to be Russian to be good at Russian Martial Art.  Obviously you don't but for whatever reason people associate combat skill with nation of origin.  I point to people like Martin Wheeler who is not Russian, never been to Russia, doesn't speak Russian and is one of the best practitioners around.  I personally was among a group of non-Russians demonstrating the native Russian Martial Art for Russians in Moscow to expose the Russian people to this art in 2003.

This article is timely because  people sometimes ask me if I am Russian or if I speak Russian.  When I say I don't speak Russian and my dad's mom is Ukrainian they get this look like how can I teach a Russian martial art then.  I usually draw the analogy that you don't have to be Italian to cook Italian food.  This article then shows the same biases in the culinary world.  Perhaps the chefs can tell people that you don't have to be Russian to excel at Russian Martial Arts...

No comments: